Melbourne Roadworthy Centre Logo

Selling a Vehicle

Appointing an agent

Regardless of whether your vehicle is registered or unregistered you can choose to appoint an agent to act on your behalf. VicRoads requires you to provide the following information:
An original letter with your:

  • full name
  • address
  • drivers licence AND

The letter must state the name of the agent and authorise them to either:

  • sign the Seller (Disposer) section of the Vehicle Registration Transfer form or
  • sign the Contract of Sale or original receipt

Information about Selling a vehicle


When you sell a vehicle you need to complete the Seller portion of the VicRoads Customer Service Centre or by calling VicRoads on 13 11 71 (Mon – Fri 8.30am – 5.00pm, Sat 8.30am – 2.00pm)

You can sell a vehicle either with a Roadworthy Certificate (RWC) or without a RWC by removing the number plates and cancelling the registration.

Buying a vehicle

When you buy a vehicle that is registered, you will need to transfer the registration into your name.Generally you will need to supply VicRoads the following information within 14 days:


Call VicRoads on 13 11 71, Mon – Fri 8:30am – 5:00pm, Sat 8:30am – 2:00pm or by visiting a VicRoads Customer Service Centre, Mon – Thu 8:30am – 4:30pm, Fri 8:30am – 5:00pm


If you are planning to buy a second hand vehicle, a quick and easy way to obtain important information prior to purchase is to get a Vehicle Information Package (VIP).

A VIP is information issued by VicRoads providing vehicle buyers with a detailed record (excluding personal information) about any vehicle registered in Victorian, enabling potential buyers to make an knowledgeable purchase decision. A VIP provides the latest information recorded on VicRoads systems including:

  • Whether any enforcement agency, financial institution, or individual has registered a security interest over the particular vehicle.
  • The Vehicle Identification Number/chassis number and engine number
  • Whether VicRoads has been informed that the vehicle is reported as being stolen
  • Whether the registration is current, expired, suspended or cancelled
  • Written-off vehicle damage reported for the vehicle, including the date and, where applicable, severity and type of damage
  • The number of times the vehicle has been transferred, and the postcodes where it has been garaged within Victoria
  • The make, body type and year of manufacture